blog‎ > ‎


posted Jun 2, 2010, 10:29 AM by Jose Velasquez
Flying 14 hours with a toddler and 11 pieces of luggage on one hour of sleep was quite a feat...and we did it with a smile to boot! We're home again, and we plan to settle down for good (at least till we can afford our dream villa in the Old World). Being back home after a five year "absence" is quite an eye-opener. Our neighbor's kids have grown taller than me, one's a pilot (I may take him up on his offer to fly me around--with camera in hand, of course), and my dad's truck really is a nice vehicle. It was capable of carrying all of our luggage (and then some), and it didn't stutter or slow down or get sluggish at any point during the hour drive home from the airport.

Oddly enough driving manners in North America still leave much to be desired. While we were loading the stroller in my mother's minivan, someone started yelling at us because we were blocking his way in the parking the lot. My mother had pulled up behind my dad's truck so we could load a few things into her minivan, and out of the blue some fellow starts complaining about why he "should have to wait" for us. I told him to have some patience and to be decent, and he went on a long monologue about idiotic drivers and how stupid it was of us to block one of several hundred lanes at one of the parking lots at Pearson airport...we just ignored him.

Once my mom left (after a long 30 second ordeal of loading my son's stroller), he left and continued yelling. Some people are in such a hurry in life that 30 seconds seems like an eternity. I wonder how they deal with the horrible waits on the highways...

Anyway, despite the rudeness that greeted us in the parking lot there was a silver lining in all of this...I had accidentally left my camera bag (my Domke F5XC) in one of the luggage trolleys, and a family who had also been loading their car spotted it and approached my dad's truck just as we were leaving. One of their girls lifted up my bag and asked if it was mine. Boy was it ever--it had both my cameras in it, as well as both my 85mm f1.4 lenses and my 20mm f4. I was so grateful for what she did. It was God's way of reminding me that not all people are angry and in a hurry, and that there are still kind and honest people out there.

I never got around to writing a final posting from Seoul, so my penultimate one was my final one. I'll miss that city--not the pollution, but the people, the food, the photographic opportunities, and, of course, our friends. I'll also miss the insane customer service...10 minute sensor cleaning, one week camera repairs, and all of the freebies they give you at stores when you buy something...We sure had fun during our time in Korea, and perhaps one day we'll visit again and meet up with our old friends.

It feels good to be back, and I can't wait to get over my jet-lag so I can get out there and start shooting again...

Till my next rambling or post, this is, hey, hey,